Alum Creek

Statewide flooding in 1913 and 1959 prompted Congress to authorize the building of four dams in the Central Ohio region, Alum Creek among them. Ground broke for construction of Alum Creek Dam in 1970.

Over the next 4 years, contractors would work to construct the 1.7-mile-long earthen filled dam and concrete spillway.

In 1974 Alum Creek was completed and a year later the lake filled to its summer pool for the first time.  Over the next 5-10 years the recreation areas around the lake were built in partnership with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, a partnership that still stands today, that allows for the management and maintenance of our beautiful park.

Today Alum Creek Dam is estimated to have prevented over $286.3 mil in flood damages (FY22) and the park welcomes over 2 million visitors per year.